RICHMOND, Va. – April is a very special month for CBS 6 as WTVR-TV celebrates 75 years of broadcasting excellence. WTVR became the South’s First Television Station on April 22, 1948.
The legacy CBS affiliate, which is now owned by the E. W. Scripps Company, was the first TV station granted a license south of the Mason/Dixon line. It was also the 16th television station in the U.S. — and the eighth to be granted a broadcast license.
Story courtesy by WTVR CBS 6.